Monday, June 18, 2007

A Failure To Communicate Part Deux


You ever just want to shout something from the rooftops? Just scream it out? Something big? Something important? And a megaphone won't do - you need LOUDNESS!!! You just want your voice to be heard.

I want to do that with a friend. I want to tell them "I know what you're going through, I found out. I know you're struggling, even though you don't know that I know." I want to encourage this person, and offer words that will salve some of the hurts, words from the Lord's word. I want to tell them "Here are some verses I read and when I did, I thought of you. Take comfort in them my friend. Here is my prayer for you, my hope for you, my heart for you. I care."

If I did, though, it would be so ill received. Pushed aside. Ignored. The challenges this person is facing were told to me, not by the person, but someone else who cares. And as someone who has recently been in the situation of wanting everyone out of her business, I can imagine that this person would not be comfortable with me knowing their personal struggles secondhand.

So, they would reject my words. I know because we've been there before. They would interrupt and make light of it, and just not listen, maybe even lose their temper. Just like last time. And the time before that too.

The mere fact that they wouldn't accept my words, though, makes me want to scream it out. If they were to just listen, and say thanks, I wouldn't need to resort to shouting. But after a long time of trying to be a friend, to someone who rejects my friendship, I am at the point where I want to scream "I just want to encourage you, so take the stinking encouragement and verses and words already and stop acting like a jerk. I just love you, so there!"

Urgh! I just want to communicate with this person. I just want them to communicate with me!! Because in the end, I just want to love on and encourage and build up this person, and see them blessed and happy. Is that so hard to accept? Do I have to scream it out?

What we've got here, is a failure to communicate!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Use your imagination and help her in ways that you can.

Truly, is it important that she or he knows that you know?

In future moments of shared reality with said person be compassionate and open and don't expect a thank you - that should not be the reason you are doing it - but I am sure you know that.