Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Best Of Both Worlds

Ok, hands down, we all know, I'm gonna be a stylish mom one day. People may tease me about the cute shoes I wear ("You gonna be able to walk in those???"), or my lack of authentic looking painting clothes (when I was at camp over Memorial Day weekend, it seemed like everyone I met asked me if I was really going to paint in that shirt), but when I'm a mom, you will not see me in some cheesy looking tee shirt or ratty sweat pants. And my kids, they're gonna be adorable! Cute little Gap-ad lookalikes, in their baby rocker tee's and RL overalls and baby Crocs. Seriously, it will be the best of both worlds - motherhood & fashion. I love clothes, I love babies - it's a match made in heaven. Heehee, I can't wait.

And what will a stylish mama like myself read to my adorable, Barney's (the store, not the dinosaur) loving kids? Why, "This Little Piggy Went To Prada" of course. Ok, so this book is the real reason for tonight's post. I saw the book last week & I fell. In. Love.


I mean come on, in life, what do I love?

1. Kids
2. Clothes
3. Books
4. Art

Oh my god, this book has it all. It's revamped nursery rhymes, or as it's subtitled "Nursery Rhymes for the Blahnik Brigade". I giggle just saying it. Nursery rhymes where all the little stories have been tweaked to be a name dropping, fashionista's dream litany.



For example, instead of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, we have

"Twinkle, twinkle, diamond ring,
In a blue box tied with string.
Tiffany's new princess cut,
Twice the size of baby's butt.
Twinkle twinkle, show your spark,
Can't change nappies in the dark."

Or instead of This Little Piggy, there's

"This little piggy went to Prada,
This little piggy went to Cannes,
This little piggy dined at Nobu,
And this little piggy, Hakkasan.
And this little piggy went 'Wee wee wee wee!'
All the way home (because she had a fat bottom!)"

And lastly, why hum along to Frere Jacques, when you can gleefully sing

"Louis Vuitton, Louis Vuitton,
Mulberry, Mulberry?
Nappy bag dilemma – Lulu, Kate or Anya?
Shopping spree, buy all three."

Manolo, Louis, Versace, Prada, Tod's, you name it. It's in there. And though, in reality, I have been wearing the same $10 eyelet top for the last three days (hey, I've managed to keep it clean and it's white, I'm wearing it almost as a celebration at this point), I am perfectly content in my simple life. Thankfuly, I doubt I will ever be personally acquainted with anything mentioned in this book (sans bebe). Yes, I am not necessarily a name dropping Carrie Bradshaw wanna be as much as I think I could be, being from L.A. and all. So this book delights my inner sense of fashion know how, while at the same time being whimsical enough to not take itself too seriously. Just like me.

On to the next best parts. It's a book. Say I more?

It's for kids. It's nursery rhymes. Nostalgic. Adorable. Kid oriented. Reminding me that indeed, urban babies do wear black (and country babies wear plaid), and yes, rock-a-baby, you are safer in daddy's arms when mommy is wearing her Choo's. How cute would it be to read it to an adorable little baby, in a soft little mommy voice, all the while smiling inside, because all baby hears is "coo, coo, coo, mommy loves you", and yet reading it is wonderful Nordstrom's piano music to my ears?


And, the other two best things about this book - one is that the proceeds benefit Save The Children. Save the Children work with kids suffering from poverty, disease, injustice and violence, with the aim of finding lifelong answers to the problems they face. Of course, Jesus and a good Juicy Couture tracksuit are all they really need. Heehee, giggle again. Just Jesus, seriously.

And lastly, the art - the illustrations are all soft, dreamy watercolors. Though I usually do enjoy multi-media myself, I think the tranquility of the watercolors would inspire maternal calmness in any reader.
The illustrator, one Eun-kyung Kang (aka Zebby), has a background in fashion and textiles, and that esoteric eye shows through in her renderings of all the cutest luxury goods.

So, if you want to know what brings a big smile to my face this week - it's mostly the thought that someday (before I'm 40 puh-leeze, God), I may have a baby of my own, all big brown eyes, and tons of wavy sandy hair, and hopefully dimples. Secondly it's that I could, at that time, read this equally adorable and frivolous book to said potential cutie pie baby! What more could I ask for? I am joyous just thinking about it.

No comments: