Saturday, May 12, 2007

How He Touches My Heart - Part I of III

As I was pondering, the other day, all the ways that my God is good (having created daffodils is just one of them), I realized there are certain attributes of Him which I distinctly love and that bless my spirit, more so than others. Sometimes it is these attributes that are the hardest to comprehend or trust in, but they are, for that very fact, the characteristics that make me fall in love with Him most. The boggle my mind, and yet are the first ones I cling to.

So, I thought I'd post what they are, and the scriptures that prove them to be true, in part to remind myself, and in part to share with others how wonderful God the Father really is.

The first one, is that He is a God of comfort. He comforts me. And I really take that seriously. Here is how I know:





Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Psalm 71:21 You will increase my honor and comfort me once again.

Psalm 119:50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Psalm 119:52 I remember your ancient laws, O Lord, and I find comfort in them.

Psalm 119:76 May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.

Isaiah 51:3 The Lord will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; he will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing.

Isaiah 57:18 I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will guide him and restore comfort to him,

Isaiah 66:13 As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem."

Jeremiah 31:13 Then maidens will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Zecariah 1:17 "Proclaim further: This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'My towns will again overflow with prosperity, and the Lord will again comfort Zion and choose Jerusalem.' "

2 Corinthians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,

2 Corinthians 1:5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

Phillipians 2:1-2 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Trin, thank you so much for this list! It's humbling to contrast how much of His comfort is placed in the future when we trust in Him versus how much pouting I do when I don't feel comforted right away. This is usually because I'm placing my trust in something else.

On a completely unrelated and trivial note, did you talk to Stacy about getting together on Wednesday? Remind me to tell you about that.