Friday, November 16, 2007

Ich Leibe

I could not be more excited that it’s Christmas season, even though it’s not. Well, not really yet. Christmas season doesn’t start officially til Thanksgiving is over. The radio stations & shops at the mall haven’t read that memo though.

In any case, last night, as I was driving home, I was flipping through the stations and what did my perky little ears happen upon, but Christmas music on the “Lite” station. Now, normally I would never listen to that station. That chick Delilah needs to be shot – no one is that emotionally atune & grateful. Oh barf! But even I can deal with Delilah if the promise of Bing Crosby crooning “White Christmas” or Peggy Lee singing about “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” follows after it. The people in the cars surrounding me, as we wormed our way through an hour’s worth of traffic on 394, must’ve thought I was doing my Buddy The Elf impression, because I really did shout out, to myself, in the car “I LOOOOVE CHRISTMAS MUUUSIIIIC!!!!” And then, with a huge, goofy grin on my face, I proceeded to sing along to every song that came on till I pulled in my driveway at home.

I realized that part of the reason I really do love Christmas is because it makes me think of the Johnsons, my Minnesota family, and the great times we spend together at Christmas. We haven’t had one bad Christmas yet. Whether it’s huddled together on Nicollet Avenue, watching Holidazzle, or listening to Harry read from Luke chapter 2, with Josiah perched up on his lap, or doing a puzzle with the girls, all my Christmas memories of years recently past are wonderful, and include the family that I love. That could be part of the reason I do get so excited about Christmas.

In any case, this week has been full of things I love (Delilah excluded). There has been some massive flirtation going on at work, with the cute Tech Services guy. It really does throw me for a loop when guys flirt with me. I mean, it’s ME. Do they know that? Do they realize who they’re flirting with? The least attractive (in many respects) person I know?? Hey, I’m not complaining. But maybe I crossed the line today, when we were talking about yummy beef dishes, and he said he’d been thinking about finding a fancy restaurant and trying Beef Wellington for the first time, and then I offered myself as an expert opinion. Does inviting yourself out for what could possibly be considered a date constitute crossing the line?

I guess I’ll find out when he never talks to me again, huh?

Seriously, though, I can never tell when guys like me, but this time, it might be a little plain, for even me, to see. He comes over to my desk like ten times a day. Even when it’s totally out of his way. Or he has nothing to do over in my department. I’m flattered, and blushing as I write this.

Ok, other things I have gathered joy from this week….mmm, Christmas music, the thought that a cute boy likes me, looking forward to a Johnson family Christmas…..

….Oh, yes, finishing painting my room, and seeing it come together quite well. I have been going for the look of a boutique hotel, crossed with a Tiffanys box I think I’m accomplishing it quite well. The walls are painted, the trim is almost painted, the dressers are refinished and ready to be moved from the kitchen, where they’ve been living for two weeks, back into the bedroom. I even have a friend coming over tomorrow to help me “Spring Clean”. Couldn’t be more excited.

And I’m happy to announce that, other than the above, not much is new. Thanksgiving is this coming week. I am thrilled with excitement of yet another Johnson family Thanksgiving. This can be said despite the fact that a certain friend who’s continually pissing me off is supposed to come, and I’ve been thinking of ways all week to uninvite him. Nothing yet. But even an irritating friend can be handled when I’ve got so much family to spend this gracious day with.

And then Friday shall be spent putting up Christmas decorations. Saturday, another good friend and I are going to get in the Christmas spirit by hunting down ornaments & decorations together. And somewhere in there I’ll be polka dancing & downing boots of beer at the Gasthof’s.

Hmmmm, maybe it’s worth a cute Tech boy invite?? You never know what a man is made of till he has to snuff tobacco while chanting “Ziggy Zoggy, Ziggy Zoggy….Oy oy oy!” with my family.

No comments: