Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thoroughly Thankful For A Week Of Thankful Things


There's a lot going on this week, but I can't think of one bit of it that's not lovely. Well except the fact that I have to come into work on Saturday, but even that is overtime, and I'm ok with that too.

Let's run through the week and I'll break it down for you:

Monday - I got to watch the FBC kids - a lot of them. I had one of them on my shoulders and two of them on my lap at one point last evening, as we watched a movie. I accidentally taught S the phrase "Squishy Butt" which in her tiny little two year old voice was the cutest thing ever. And I remembered, as I often do when I see these kids, how blessed with community and love I really am. How could I ever be lonely or sad in my singleness, when it affords me the opportunity to spend time with these kiddos and love on them?

Tuesday - Dinner with a good friend, and finally the long anticipated showing of Harry Potter 7.1. There are not a lot of people I would wait to see this movie for or with. I almost caved last week and went by myself on Friday. But it will be worth it to watch it with the only other person who's a big of a HP geek as I am. And drinks & happy hour apps to start the evening off doesn't hurt either.

Wednesday - My sixth favorite day of the year (1. Christmas, 2. Fourth of July, 3. My birthday, 4. New Years Day, 5. Thanksgiving, 6.....) the day before Thanksgiving, which translates into Hymn Sing & Pie Social at church!!!! I am so blessed to be part of this church, and after years of running, years of feeling like I love God but am not so pleased with His Bride, I can finally say and see that He has brought me to the place I belong. I have fought it, and still cringe at the thought of commitment to being part of a church body (commitment to anything freaks me out really, but especially commitment to a church, when it was church that burned me so bad last time around). But I cannot deny that I love this group of people and their heart for the Lord and each other. And when we get together and sing hymns in the church basement, tell what we're thankful for and then eat pie together, I not only feel transported back about 60 years, but I feel full of love and gratitude and joy as I look around at the beautiful, shining faces of people I love and look forward to seeing and doing life with.

Thursday - Thanksgiving. With the J's. And all the fun and love and comfort and tradition that entails. I am thankful to the Lord all year long for bringing me these friends who are closer to me than my own family, and who embody all that I ever wanted but was never blessed with. But I feel it most succinctly at the holiday season as we gather together and love Him and each other in a way I have never found anywhere else. It only serves to remind me that He answers prayers in a big, giving way sometimes that exceeds our wildest expectations or dreams. I couldn't ask for a better fake family than them.

Friday - The 2nd Annual FBCYG Black Friday Girls Breakfast & Shopping Extravaganza. Or another term for why I must be out of my mind. Last year another female youth sponsor and I took the Youth Group girls out shopping and to breakfast at Perkins the day after Thanksgiving. It. Was. Chaos. I do not expect that this year will be any different, as a matter of fact, seeing's how I'm the only female youth sponsor, and we have more girls coming this year than last, I imagine it will be nothing less than sheer madness. Yet, I love these kids, and they got really excited last week when I reminded them about this event. I know they're going to have a good time, and I know I will too, despite the raging migraine and aching feet I anticipate. I do love them, and am looking forward to spending time with them, and that makes me really happy. And here you thought I was going to say the shopping, didn't you?

Saturday - Well yes, I have to work. But Saturday will be the apex of my week, and the one thing I've not been able to keep my mind away from for the last two weeks. My kitten comes home. Yep, It's Kitten Come Home Day!!! Come home kitten, it's time for you to come to your new home. Come on home kitty-cat-kitten, home come you. If it were a football game, it'd be Kitten Homecoming or the Kitten Bowl! I'm so excited I can think of nothing else. Every day I look forward to it with new anticipation and impatience, and I feel like a kid before Christmas. I have to work, yes, but as soon as I get out of there, I'm hauling ass over to St. Paul and gettin my kitten. And he's comin' home!

Sunday - Well in all honesty, I really hadn't thought about it. But I'll probably take a nap, and after the week I've had won't that be the best activity of all?

So you see, I have a lot to be thankful for this week. And a whole lot to look forward to. It's gonna be epic, and I am ready to dive right in! And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

No comments: