Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Domestic Bliss

I haven't blogged in a while, and I apologize to you few readers who are still faithfully following me.  I guess you could say I'm lazy, but in all honesty, I'm busy, and I haven't had much to say really, so there's that.  Mostly just that I haven't had anything to say.  Silence is becoming something I'm increasingly comfortable with.

But life is good.  I'm planning a wedding (my own), and it is a full time job I'm finding out.  I'm working more than full time, at a job that I love, with a small little office of characters.  My current boss (he's retiring next year) is the nicest person I've ever worked for, and I just enjoy our interactions every day.  This is a huge relief coming off the heels of hell at Onesta, and a boss-lady who would literally make me cry with her demeaning comments, off-the-clock demands, and split personalities.  They are each other's antithesis in every possible way.  I also work with two very young women, who make me feel older than I am, and than I've ever felt before.  They are both in their early twenties, and though I'm used to interacting with youth group girls that age, to see people so young in the work force is eye opening, and feels rather out of place.  The generational differences between us are also both amusing and slightly disconcerting.  When did I turn into this stuffy, proper, older woman?  I used to be cool, I swear!!

In any case, life is grand.  Life at home is grand as well, and I am more in love with my sweet fiance today than I was five months ago when he proposed.  Every day just a little bit more.  I am settled into domesticity like a fat old cat, content, quiet, napping the warm days away.   Last night I was sick with a cold, and he let me lay on the sofa and read as he made dinner and cleaned the kitchen.  Watching him in there with his handsome beard, cheerfully working away, the smells of spicy taco meat drifting my way, as I laid curled up with a blanket and some tea, literally filled my heart to overflowing.  This is what joy is - sweet, domestic joy.

As the days tick away, we are moving closer to our wedding date.  The fear of making sure everything is as perfect on that day as it is in my head keeps the timeline of a date fast approaching very surreal.  I wish I had a better grip on reality when it comes to gauging what seven months away is.  But by the time all is said and done we'll have been engaged for just over a year.  And though there are those have voiced their wish that we'd just get married already so we can stop "living in sin", I wouldn't wish a rushed engagement on anyone!  Planning takes so much time in the research of each factor involved.  Every day I'm working a little more at it, researching, making calls, comparing, putting everything into a speadsheet, into inspiration boards, into a budget.  Saving, saving, more saving.  Always saving.

I can't wait till we are married though, if for these two reasons only:  1.  We can finally get a dog.  I want a dog so bad!  Something that will be ours, together, and a shared joy, and that sweet unconditional, sloppy love of a dog.  Something to dote on, besides C, which I'm sure he'll appreciate.  2.  The other reason I really just want to get married already is so we can have a honeymoon.  As always, I have wanderlust.  Somethings might never change.  And though I get to travel for work this year and next, it's never the same.  I want to zipline through the jungles of Costa Rica.  I want to meander the vineyards of Napa.  I want to lounge in a mountain facing hot tub in Montana.  I want to go somewhere and just swoon at the scenery and eat somewhere I've never eaten before, and walk on a street that looks like it's out of an old Capra film.  I have romantic travelitis, and only seven months before a good excuse for it.  I get to go on a honeymoon.  I'm gonna be a married lady.

Sadie, Sadie.  Sigh.

In any case, this is not that exciting of a post. It's nothing special.  But yet, it's kind of everything special for me right now.  It's everything that is sweet and wonderful in my ordinary daily life, and I feel like this is the me I've always wanted to be.  Content, quiet, and full of undeserved joy.  Thanks to the One who gave it to me.  And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.












No comments: