Friday, April 20, 2012

I'm Engaged!!!

What more needs to be said other than - he asked, I said yes!!!

Yep, as of Monday I am now officially a fiance to the best man I know. We're getting married, and I couldn't be more excited to spend the rest of my life with this amazing man. His patience, kindness, humor and love are just a few of the qualities that make me want to be his wife and little woman.

So, ring pics to come - we still have to go shopping for one. Being the intelligent man that he is, he decided I should pick it out, versus him buying something I wasn't crazy about. What he doesn't know is that I would have loved whatever he chose, but I'll love the one we choose together even more. This Saturday is the big day, and I plan on dragging him around till we find the perfect one.

Speaking of rings, I think I'm learning just what a hippie non-traditionalist I am. I am in love with a certain style, and a certain stone, and a certain precious metal and none of it is the traditional white gold or platinum set diamond that is everywhere you look. What's more, I am highly skeptical that I will find this magical ring of mystery in any of the traditional places, like Wedding Day Diamonds or Kay or even higher end Shane Co. I have, however, found it on Etsy, a few times over, and so want us to order it from there, but am afraid that the minute I say "Hey honey, let's order the ring from this online craft bazaar" he's gonna run screaming the other way at my crunchy gal ways. Although, if he hasn't figured it out by now...

So, my question to you all is this: Yes, I understand that it's okay to be a non-traditionalist when it comes to your wedding, and I understand that it's up to the couple to decide what is "right" for them. But is buying your engagement ring on Etsy taking it a step too far? Well I guess we'll find out soon, right?

But for now, that's the good news... I'm engaged.  And in love.  And happy as a lark.  And that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

1 comment:

Brian & Alison said...

First off, best and many wishes to you!! I had almost completely given up checking your blog because it's been so long since your last post... meaning the one from October. It seems that you have come a long way since then and found happiness in your life. I wish you and your finance' all the very best.

For whatever my two cents is worth, it's your relationship, engagement, and impending marriage do what you like about buying your engagement ring. The only reason I would suggest you buying it from a traditional store is that they can offer you things that etsy won't be able to. Things like insurance, free ring cleanings, sizing in case your finger changes (gets really small or big, and repair in case something happens to it. You may think that nothing could ever happen to your ring, but lots of things can, like the center stone falling out because a prong broke, which happened to my co-worker. She bought her ring from a local jeweler and they repaired the broken prong and replaced the stone all free of charge. Not saying that it works out that way for everyone, but you certainly would not be afforded that opportunity buying it from etsy. - Hope that helps & if you have any other questions that you want answered by an outsider you can email me. brianandalison@gmail.com ~ Alison